Pursuing The Best Possible Outcome For Every Client

  1. Home
  2.  » Workers’ Compensation

Seeking Workers’ Compensation Is Easier With An Attorney On Your Side

No one expects to get injured on the job. When it happens, you may not know what to do. You may think you don’t need workers’ compensation or that you won’t qualify for benefits. But workers’ compensation was designed for people just like you, and you shouldn’t hesitate to explore your options with the help of an experienced attorney.

My name is Michael Keough, a lawyer with 27 years of legal experience, as well as personal experience with a serious workplace injury. I founded the Law Office of Michael T. Keough to help Florida workers navigate this complex system and claim the benefits they are entitled to. For many of my clients, I’m the first attorney they’ve ever worked with, and they are surprised to learn that I’m a down-to-earth person who cares about what they’re going through and who wants to help. If you’d like to learn about your legal options, I invite you to contact me for a free consultation.

What To Do After Your Accident Or Injury

The unfortunate truth is that insurance companies are looking for any reason to deny a workers’ compensation claim because doing so improves their bottom line. In order to give yourself the best chance at an approved claim, it is important to abide by all requirements and deadlines.

Below, I’ve provided a basic overview of what to do and when.

Report the injury: Unless there are extenuating circumstances, you need to report the accident/injury to your employer as soon as possible, and no later than 30 days from the date of the accident (or the date you became aware that your injury is work related or in such instances regarding repetitive injuries). Even if you report the injury verbally right after it happens, you’ll need to report it in writing shortly thereafter.

See an approved doctor whenever possible: Once your injury has been reported by your employer, your employer’s worker’s compensation insurance carrier will have an adjuster assigned to your claim. If your claim is not denied, then the adjuster with authorize and often set an appointment with the doctor of their choosing. Worker’s comp will not cover any non-authorized care. The exception to this is if you need emergency treatment, and you have no time or opportunity to research approved physicians. In that case, go straight to the emergency room. You should ask for a copy of the medical bills as is often the case, many providers send the bill to you when, in fact, Florida Law requires that treatment for work related injuries be paid for by the worker’s comp insurance carrier. In fact, it is unlawful for providers to send you bills for worker’s comp injuries. We relieve our clients of this terrible burden so that you can concentrate on healing without the worry of unpaid medical bills damaging your credit.

Follow up with your employer and the insurer: Your employer is legally required to report your injury to their workers’ compensation insurer. The insurer should contact you within three days after receiving the report. In the event this does not occur, contact my office.

Contact an attorney for help with your claim: This is not a legal requirement, but it is often a practical necessity. Many clients contact me after their claim has already been denied. I can help at this point, but I can be even more helpful if you contact me early in the process. I will ensure that your claim paperwork is thorough and accurate and that you meet all requirements and deadlines.

If your claim is denied, I am ready to represent you at all levels of appeal.

Talk To Me About Your Legal Options In A Free Consultation

The Law Office of Michael T. Keough offers free initial consultations to all clients, which makes it easy for you to get answers to your questions and to feel confident that I’m the right attorney for you. To get started, call my office in New Port Richey at 727-435-8716. You can also reach out online.